Tuesday, November 17, 2009

S/Y Athena West Palm 11/16/2009

Sat around today and did some chores on the boat. Later in the afternoon we were having a beer and I saw masts over Peanut Island coming from the sea. I snapped this snot as the yacht backed into a slip by the Port Authority.


We were low on beer and with the awareness of the fact that two blocks away there are guns in the street I took the bike to the convienience store one block away before it got to late. Having had a couple of beers already, upon concluding my business I opened a "roady" and started back. I decided to detour into the Port Authority to see if I could get a closer inspection of this yacht. I rode in like I owned the place beer in hand. The British flagged yacht lie in a fenced and gated berth. I was able to snap the shots below through the fence and only wish I knew how to work my camera better. At one point A smartly dressed man accompanied by armed Port Authority officers walked up behind me and asked me not to take pictures of his boat. He didn't appear to be to be to offended so I shook his hand and lifted the back of his sport jacket and commented "you must have left your wallet on the boat". He said he did, smiled and walked off. I snapped a few more shots jumped on our rusty bike with beer in the egg crate strapped to the handle bars and concluded my errand.






The lights on the masts are red clearence lights for aircraft, not anchor lights in this situation. Some research on the net determined this yacht to be the S/V Athena, constructed in 2004 she is the largest privately owned sailing yacht with an LOA of 90 meters (295' 3") displacing a staggering 1,177 tons. Constructed of high tensile Alustar she is the largest all aluminum yacht to date. Her masts reach 197' from the decks which I surmise to be another 25 - 30' off the water and carry 28,632sf of sail. The boat entertains ten guests in five staterooms with a crew of eighteen.

ATHENA’s interior design is by Rebecca Bradley, her bridge Deck featuring open air lounge, media lounge, lobby and powder room. Her main deck with formal dining salon, library, main salon with wet bar and an alfresco dining area. She also features roomy foyers, hallways and satellite seating areas.



No comments:

Post a Comment